Wednesday, May 1, 2013

DIY: Recovering a stool cushion

 

Look at me gettin' all crafty!


As part of my fresh start, I am acquiring new items for my home starting with my bedroom. Coming home to an empty apartment is depressing and I want to make it my own space and my sanctuary. After buying the antique writing desk I mentioned in Friday's post, I started to look on Craigslist for a stool that could go with it.

A vintage stool with a turquoise frame and black sequined cushion caught my eye. I knew the cushion wouldn't match the color scheme I had in mind for my bedroom, which made me hesitate to buy it. I was crafty when I was a kid. But as an adult? Not so much.

I bought it. I left it as it was for a few days then went to the craft store and bought some cushioning and fabric. Last night, I went for it!

The chair in all its sequined glory
The sequined look was glamorous and you all know I love things that sparkle. But it had to go. I chose a chevron-patterned fabric, which is a very popular print right now.

Next, I unscrewed the three screws holding the cushion on to the metal frame with my phillips screw driver.


The frame stood alone, naked and cold. (I kid, I kid. But look at it. It does kind of look naked)


I was delighted to turn the cushion over and find the sequined material was fastened with tacks I could remove with a hammer and reuse with the new fabric. I had not decided until that moment how I would fasten the new fabric on the cushion. It was an adventure.


After removing the sequined fabric, the original cover was revealed. There was no longer any doubt this stool was indeed vintage. Look at that pattern!


I trimmed the cushioning and new fabric in a circle and poked small holes for the three screws. I then fastened it on the cushion with the screws before moving on to the next step.



I hammered the tacks into the fabric and cushion, folding the fabric in sections as I went until it looked like this:


I placed the recovered cushion on the frame and fastened it with the three screws. Complete! I love it!


 Ta-da! Hope you can use my narrative to conquer your own recovering project!

No comments:

Post a Comment